Monday, May 21, 2012

School today was cool.

Double free today. Studied English in the grass. I think there's nothing nicer than just sitting in the grass and reading, feeling the sun and the breeze. The sun is so nice. I guess vitamin D is good for you after all, so it's all right. As long I don't burn. I burn quite easily.

I like the smell of grass. Grass smells nice. Especially grass that's been slightly crushed from my elbow as I lean on it. Although commenting on the nice smell of grass makes me think of Tangled when Rapunzel when she gets out of her tower for the first time.

"just smell the grass, the dirt, just liked I dreamed they'd be..."

I love disney :D

I really am happy we only have to do two speeches for essay. Now I can do Atwood and Suu Kyi's speeches without having to find another link with another speech. :) love their speeches, such powerful speeches on women. Although Atwoods is the best. :D

But sedat isn't too bad. I admire his push for peace. I could relate that and Suu Kyi.

... The problem I find with English essays is that i have too much to wirte and I have nowhere to start.

---
So in Drama we had to hand in a 300+ word piece about why we want to perform the piece we want to perform. 

Basically you have to crap about stuff.

Just thought I'd show you what I wrote and what I mean.  

-----
Student: Alysha Mah
Individual project type: Monologue
Title of project: Edith Piaf from Songs for Nobodies

1.      Whyyou choose this particular project?

On Sheet Answer: I chose to perform a monologue because I really like performing. I find that performing allows me to express personal thoughts and emotions. Performing is alsoa great outlet for my creativity and stress, a real benefit to any HSC student. 

I took along time to decide on any particular piece, as I was struggling to find a piece I really identified with. When I went to watch Songs for nobodies I was really moved by the Piaf section, as I havealways held a great admiration for Piaf as a vocalist. 

The monologueI chose is particularly unique as it involves singing as part of the performance.I have a great love for musical performance. Thus I felt that by finding apiece that combines both dramatic and musical performance was something that I greatly desired to perform.

What I was actually thinking: Originally, I wanted to not perfom at all. I wanted to send in written work on a costume design concept. I was really excited about it. But I couldn’t get my costume design concept right. I kept getting shut down. Then I got so fed up with it I burnt it all and went to do monologue. I chose a monologue with song in it because I would stand out. That’s it.

2.      Whatare your strengths in that field?

On Sheet Answer: In terms of the musical aspect of my individual project, I have studied music ever since I was six years old. I have performed music in concerts, including in bands, piano recitals, and vocal performances since I was seven. In terms of vocal performances, I also have experience in the area, composing my own pieces and performing at school concerts, church services, and gigs. I have also won singing competitions. 

In terms ofthe monologue itself, I have a reasonable ability to maintain a British accent,which is what is called for in the monologue. It also requires transformational acting, which I have experience in due to previous performances.

What i was actually thinking: I think I can sing. Gigs basically mean performing at relative's weddings and birthday parties. Singing competition was in 4th grade where i came first in a talent contest. And the British accent is the only one I can maintain for long enough, other than “stupid bitchy American girl” accent. 

3.      Howyou are preparing that project?

On Sheet Answer:I am preparing for the project by watching English television shows to studydifferent English accents. I am also going to a vocal tutor to attempt to trainmy voice as to properly imitate Edith Piaf’s singing style.

What I was actually thinking: LOL WHAT PREPARATION? I've read the script once, talked to a friend who teaches music who randomly meets up with at church, and watch a lot of Doctor Who. 

DOCTOR WHO IS TEH GREATEST!!!!!

GET IT? CAUSE THE DOCTOR HAS TWO HEARTS???? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

2 comments: