Saturday, October 27, 2012

movie night

Haven't participated in a family movie night for a while, with HSC and all. We watched Snow White and the Huntsman.

There aren't very many movies that make me feel really really excited and also disappointed. Phantom of the Opera was one. This is the other one. I'm sincerely hoping Les Miserables will not be another one.

I just felt that Kristen couldn't act. She has no change in facial expressions at all, and her face was just... dopey. DOPEY. It frustrated me, especially since Charlize was soooooooo good. The plot, the cinematography, the sets, even the costume designs were all brill, but her acting is so wooden! ARGH.

I don't want to be a Kristen hater, but it's out there. I've seen enough on 9gag. But I seriously think she really brought the movie down. I just couldn't take her seriously, I didn't connect with her character, she didn't create emotion. Hell I felt bad for the Queen more than Snow White. And that end scene? Gosh. It was frustrating.

The thing is, she actually doesn't stop pulling the 2nd face. For everything.


Charlize was brilliant though. Gosh she's gorgeous. And such conviction. The costumes she wore, they worked perfectly for her. Such a costume could threaten to wear the actor, but i guess that's what happens when you were a model before an oscar winning actress.

Perhaps it's kind of harsh to be highly criticaly of Kristen when the counter lead is an Oscar winner. The only big movie she's shot is the Twilight series (i haven't watched it yet) so i dunno how good she is. But really, all the other relatively newbie actors who just came out with one feature film (Thor and Pirates 3) were brilliant too, so i can't say much. I dunno. She just frustrated me.

Perhaps if she was an actual new comer and wasn't in Twilight, it wouldn't have got such a negative reaction.

But I still probably would be frustrated by her lack of facial expression.

My mum told me she slept with the director. I just kind of blinked in shock.

---

I read the japanese manga version of Battle Royale, which is what some people claim to be the original Hunger Games.

I have to say, they have their similarities, but they're both actually quite different. Hunger Games is way more political in my opinion. (SPOILER ALERT) I mean, with the extreme focus on humanity and leadership and that age old concept "absolute power corrupts absolutely." Where as I found Battle Royale more to be an exploration on humanity and what people could do when pushed, and the animalistic, brutal tendancies that are buried inside all of us.

I like them both, for different reasons.

(You can see how much I've been studying right?)

---

Nanowrimo Sydney Western Area Kick off is tommorrow in Hyde Park! Also the zombie walk lol. Is anyone going to that? I would but I'm not let out of the house. Apparently I'll study at home. Well I probably wouldn't study if I was let out of the house either so meh.

Have you guys sorted out plots? I've sort of worked mine out, and developed two characters. Ish. I hope it turns out ok this year haha. Other years i ended up hating it so much I just stopped working on it. Have you guys chosen/worked out stuff already? I'm excited!

---

My sister is a SISTAR fangirl.

Though i have to admit, when she showed me the video even my heart skipped a bit.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about kristen stewart hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanowrimo! Let's all go to a write-in! I've always wanted to go to a write in and meet cool people

    i have no idea what i'm going to write, i figure i'll work that out when i bring up microsoft word on the 1st of november.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes write-in sounds awesome! They have (monthly? weekly? i can't remember) ones at chatswood, which isn't too far for me. we should totally go and meet cool people!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhh, I don't end hsc till the 6th :(

    ReplyDelete